Thursday, February 05, 2009

Snow, Museums and Getting Back to School

Hey everyone!

Well, it's been quite the interesting first week of classes... especially since class was canceled on Monday and Tuesday due to the "huge" amount of snow that we got. It probably amounted to about 5-8 inches total. The majority of the study abroad students are from either New York or Michigan, so we all pretty much thought it was insane that everything closed down because of that little amount of snow, but it's so unusual around here that they don't have the equipment to salt or plow it.

I didn't even leave the house on Monday because all the businesses were closed so I knew there was really no point. I just used the day to get some sleep and relaxing in, since we've been going going going since we got here. When I found out that classes were canceled the next day though, I knew I couldn't spend another day indoors. Luckily, businesses were getting back to normal even if the University wasn't.

Hunter and I went into the city and to some museums. First, the Imperial War Museum, which was really depressing, but kinda cool to see WWI and WWII from another country's perspective. And they had a Holocaust exhibit as well. By the time we got out of there we were about ready for something more on the fun side.

So we went to the Natural History Museum! haha. Okay, it might not sound like much fun, but it was more kid-oriented so there was an earthquake room that shook and other things with buttons to press or wheels to spin that appealed to my five year-old mentality :)

Then we realized that we had spent the entire day with the non-living, so we swung by Harrod's to look at the fish tank, haha, and proceeded to attempt to make a decision about where to eat. That took us through Leicester Square and China Town until we finally decided to head back to Kingston to meet everyone else at what has become our frequented pub, the King's Tun, for dinner. Anyway, here are some pictures from the day:




Wednesday, we finally started classes. I had my Shakespeare class... which might possibly eat me alive since it's about 30 drama students and me (and will involve some acting), but hopefully it'll be a fun challenge! And then I had British Life and Culture with all the other study abroad-ers, which is going to be fun. I went shopping in Kingston between classes and got some books that I needed (and some I didn't) and finally got a hairdryer! I was very excited since I've been walking around with wet hair way more than I would like.

Today I had by 19th Century Novel lecture, and there's a bunch of other study abroad students in that as well, so it's a little less intimidating than it might have been.

Anyway, I've had a request to take a picture of where I'm living so:



Other than that, I'm off to do some more book shopping and then back into Kingston to have a meeting with the crew about where and when we are going to do some traveling!

Hope all is well back in Michigan! Hugs to all,

Kendyl

4 comments:

  1. welcome back - cool house luv Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing all your adventures! How far are you from Kensington? Love you,
    Jean and Grampa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is Kingston from you?
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kingston is just north and a tiny bit west from where I live... and Kensington is way north and east over by London.

    ReplyDelete